Monday, April 11, 2016

No Rest For The Wicked

Cartoonist unknown
Recently, as one day turned into three hectic days, and I moved from one task to the next without a break, I thought of a saying my mother would tell me, "There is no rest for the wicked." I certainly didn't feel wicked, but Ha, I wasn't getting any rest either. Anyone acquainted with my mother would know the irony of that statement coming from her. She is as kind, good, and sweet as nectar in a honeysuckle as one would find in a woman of her caliber. And yes, she is hardworking too. Even at age 82, she has taken on the task of learning a new doll pattern and in the past 3 months she has made 40 dolls with full outfits, hair, and crocheted sweaters. My mother is amazing. Her meaning in using the phrase was to keep going, working hard is a part of life. I'm fascinated with the origin of words, sayings, and their meanings. "No rest for the wicked" originates from Isaiah in the Bible chapters, 48 & 57, and is written as "No peace for the wicked." I'm glad in our family I see peace encompassing my mother and all her children even on the crazy busy days.

JOURNAL PROMPT: Write down a quote, saying, or idiom frequently said in your home. Do you say or think about that phrase? What is it's origin?

No comments:

Post a Comment